Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Finding Your Author Voice

Last semester, I took a class called Writing the Short Novel. I've shared some snippets from that project, Up in Smoke, with you here on the blog.

At the start of this semester, my professor, Eleanor Henderson, nominated me and two others from my class to read from our short novels at the Ithaca College Whalen Symposium. The Whalen Symposium is a day of presentations of student research, mostly involving science research or various thesis projects but also featuring some fiction and poetry.

So I read my work aloud in front of an audience for the first time.

And I have that video here for you! I hope you like it!



As my roommates can attest, I was really, really freaked out going into this, but once I got up to the podium, I actually found it kind of fun to share my work with an audience like this. I'm convinced that every writer has an Author Voice - we all react similarly to reading our work aloud. Our voices drop about half an octave, and we sound quite serious and important. My friend Sarah told me that she thinks someone is meant to be an author if they have an Author Voice, and that I most certainly do, so that was certainly reassuring. It is, after all, why I agreed to present in the first place - even though I was really scared about it, I thought it would be excellent practice, because being an author is the only thing I truly want to do with my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment