Thursday, January 28, 2010

This must be Thusday...

... I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

So. I have a question for you lovely readers: how do you deal with writer's block?

Usually, it's not too bad for me. I just sort of flounder about for a bit and listen to inspiring music and talk to my beta about where I'm stuck and why, and eventually I get an idea and get unstuck.

But this time, I've been floundering for about two weeks, and I think I know the reason. It's happened to me before - when I set aside a story for a while (this time, I had to stop writing A Tangled Web so I could polish up A Bridge to War for querying) I lose track of the characters and often have a hard time getting back into the swing of things. And, especially since the edits to book one really affect book two, I'm having a particularly hard time doing that this time round.

Anyway, I'll go back to hoping that some inspiration will fall from the sky. Meanwhile, what do you guys do about writer's block? (Aside from beating yourself over the head with your keyboard, that is.)

3 comments:

  1. I stop trying to write. I take my critical eye out of the window, and turn to my favorite chapter of the book. Reading one chapter usually turns into reading two or three. I don't worry about revisions, and even if I see a hundred, I ignore them. For the first half of the day, I'm a simple reader -- enjoying every ounce of the story.

    You'd be surprised how it excites you. If you don't get that excitement (happens every once in a blue moon) take a day off completely. Watch or read things you normally wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I force myself to write. Even if it sucks to high heaven. Because (or so I tell myself) you can always go back and revise and change things. The point is to get the word flowing again. In a couple pages you'll think to yourself 'writer's block? what writer's block?'
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike Arthur Dent, I quite like Thursdays.

    But I don't like Writer's Block.

    Reading and writing are both very good ideas that I use myself to get unblocked. I usually try to write something completely different - absolutely anything, as different from what you normally write as possible. I'll also force myself to go on Write or Die (http://writeordie.drwicked.com/) so that I have a wordcount goal and a certain amount of time to get to it.

    Usually it'll just go away when I actually buck up and start typing, even if I don't type anything good for awhile.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete