Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Teaser + Announcements

Hey guys! It is way too early, but there it is.

So, before I post my teaser, a few quick ramblings.

One: I was nominated for two blog awards! One by the brilliant Kody Keplinger and one by the lovely Bailey Clement. They are some of the nicest people ever, and there shall be more about that next blog post.

Two: After two very encouraging full-manuscript rejections based upon the same thing (anachronistic dialogue) I am taking a (BRIEF) pause from the query-go-round in order to fix that. That way I can send the agents an even shinier manuscript which they shall love. :D And so, thanks a million to Sushi, Para, and Dys, for taking on my monster of a manuscript for betaing. You guys rock.

And so, without further ado, here is Ginny, Emily's younger sister, discussing a rather unpleasant girl who has just come to town, and their younger brother's burgeoning magical abilities (which tend to run towards the explosive):

--------------------------------------------------

*snipped*

16 comments:

  1. Great teaser! Love the prose. I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is like Jane Austen writing paranormal. Me likey! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% agree with Bee, i'm like alright historical kind of feel and then bam witchcraft awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. The voice here is wonderful. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love your prose here. Also, "dunce" is such a great word, isn't it? I heart the sardonic tone here :) Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this. your writing always takes me back to time a place that i've always been enamored with...and having a little magic sprinkled in is just icing on an already yummy cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love the prose of the letter - its very authentic and reads very easily. (Also, its persuading me to think in a British accent). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with Sumayyah, I was drawn to the authenticity of this and the voice was just spot on.

    Such a great tease!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everyone else. It feels historical. I can't tell why, though.

    I can help you with your dialogue if you want. ;)

    Yours truly,

    Jaece/HJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful, and uber distinct. Me loves this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You nailed the 19th century voice! Seriously, this is like Sorcery & Cecilia but BETTER! :D *loves*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man you nailed the voice. The letter felt like it was from another century, which I'm guessing is world of the characters. Plus I loved the last line - Little George has been exploding flower pots again hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much, everyone! Glad you enjoyed it! I guess this is validation for me watching the BBC Pride and Prejudice so much I can practically recite it. ;)

    Choco: Seriously? Wow, that is a HUGE compliment! Thank you!

    Glen: Yes, this is set in 1876. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this! Great speech patterns, great flow, and humorous! *loveslovesloves*

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so great! I loved everything about it! :)

    ReplyDelete